This is an interesting one for me, mostly because until recently I have NOT been a fan of cauliflower. I have a memory of when I was about 8 years old-- My parents made this pasta salad with all sorts of vegetables. Cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, peppers- It was AWFUL. Being the good parents that they were/are, I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I ate all my veggies, and they were dead serious about that. I could've sat there all night except there was dessert and it was movie night. The table was in another room, so I couldn't have even watched from my seat while protesting. Still, I stuck to my guns for probably an hour or so (maybe a lot less, you know when you're a kid, 10 minutes is a century), I ate everything except the GIANT pieces of cauliflower. They were huge, I probably got the biggest bits of the whole salad! After a little more time had passed I did would any anxious kid would do that couldn't throw it under the table to the dogs (since they were outside :/), plugged my nose, and chewed as fast as I could.

guh-ross!

THAT was the last time I willingly ate cauliflower.

I found a recipe a long time ago for mock mashed potatoes made from cauliflower. Reviews said it tasted no different from regular mashed taters, the kids and husbands couldn't tell the difference. I've made major efforts to eat healthier, try new things... so I thought "what the heck, maybe I'll like it now." AND I LOVED IT.

So now that I told my life story on cauliflower, here is that mashed cauliflower recipe, and a few more!

Garlic and Herb Mashed Cauliflower

Ingredients:

  • 1 head of cauliflower, washed, and cut into florets
  • 1 vidalia onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons kerrygold unsalted butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation>>

Here is another super easy, delicious one. Paired with lemons and olives, two of my favorite things in the world.. You just can't go wrong!

Ingredients

  • 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
  • 2 lemons
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallot
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chopped oil-cured or kalamata olives
Preparation>>



This next one has a little bit of an Indian flare and involves more preparation. I haven't tried it yet, but my husband just walked by and said it looked amazing. So I guess that means I'm making it sooner than later!

Cracklin’ Cauliflower
  • 1 bunch cauliflower cut into florets
  • 1/2 large red onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
  • 1/2 tablespoon fennel seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Preparation>>


So if you had a traumatizing cauliflower event in your life like I did and won't eat, hopefully hearing my story will give you an extra push to give it one more try :)